Chandor is a beautiful and serene village on the banks of the River Kushavati in Goa’s Salcete taluk, 10 km east from Margao. The village served as the Capital of Kadamba kingdom as late as 11th century. The place was of international repute, a great center where trade and commerce flourished and is embellished with a fort and a temple within its citadel.
A place of historic importance, Chandor forms a vital part of Goa’s past with remnants of ancient inscriptions and sites of extensive excavations. Ancient inscriptions of Bhoja kings dating back to the 3rd or 4th Century AD is also found in this place. Father Heras, who discovered Chandor in 1929, found a very old and shattered image of Nandi, Shiva’s Bull, believed to be remnants of 13th Century raids on various temples of Goa. However, the status of Chandrapur grew with the establishment of trade and sea links mainly by the Arab traders and the city of Chandrapur played an important role in boosting trading activities.
A notable place in Chandrapur is the Bragança house, built in 17th century. This huge house, situated on one side of the village square, houses relic of St. Francis Xavier and artefacts, collected by the family over the years. The Great Salon, a large ballroom embellished with antique chandeliers from Europe and heavily carved, ornate rosewood furniture adds to the charm of the place. Not to mention the furniture dating back to the 18th century made from local seeso (martel wood), lacquered or inlaid with mother of pearl by craftsmen from Curtorim village. The place also houses a collection of family portraits of 17th and 18th centuries. A feast to the travellers eye and corroborating history through the ages.