The Capital city of Salcete province, Margaon is a very clean city with lush green vegetation and also serves as the commercial capital of Goa. It is the second largest city by population and is located in South Goa. Earlier a temple town, the place is presently home to some magnificent churches built in Portuguese style.
The Church of the Holy Spirit or The Largo de Igreja, dominates the entrance to the city, just north of the Municipal Garden square. The Old residential houses around the church area are still in pristine condition. The church, built by the Portuguese in 1675, is one of the finest examples of late-Baroque architecture with a pure white façade and eloquent interior with gilt crystal and stucco. The famous “House of Seven Gables” or “Sat Burzam Ghor” is a magnificent mansion, commissioned in 1790 by Sebastino da Silva, emissary and private secretary of the Portuguese Viceroy.
Madgaon Beach, popularly known as the Benaulim Beach, is a very serene beach in Goa. This beach is. situated at the Madgaon town of Goa, in the southern part of Panjim. The long silver beach is characterised by dense green coconut and palm trees. Various food outlets at the beach serve delicious Goan cuisine.
Margao’s train station (also known as Madgaon train station), located 1.5km south-east of the Municipal Gardens is, a main stop on the north-to-south Konkan Railway.